Dependency between containers

Hello,

I’m faced with situation when containers should start in exact order. Application should be started only when Postgress database fully initialized. Such problem usually solved by “depends_on” instruction with healthcheck conditions in docker-compose file. But Pantaris doesn’t support version of compose file which allow to use such instruction. There is restriction to 3.2-3.7 versions where conditions weren’t support.
I also tried to use wait-for-it script and past it into entrypoint, but got the error:

Error: failed to create containerd task: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: exec: “/app/wait-for-it.sh”: permission denied: unknown

How conditional order task is intendent to solve in Pantaris?

Hi @external.evgeny.burm

it’s right depends-on is not supported (does not depend on the docker-compose-version).

To handle it, the wait-for approach is a good way. I don’t know the script you refering, but it might be just a minor issue: Verify, the script is executable (at all chmod u+x wait-for-it.sh and can be used by the user of your docker-image, in case there are multiple)

Another option is to implement re-connecting in your application. So it would also work if the db-container restarts unplanned.